This article is about Kannada Letters With Words. We are providing all Kannada letters including numbers with words example.
- Kannada Letters(Which means all vowels and Consonants in Kannada and English )
- Kannada Numbers
- Kannada Letters with Words Examples..
Kannada Letters(script) are used to write the Kannada Language, which is one of the Dravidian Language of the Karnataka and few other states in South India. Several Languages like Tula , Kodava, Konkani, Sanketi and Beary also use alphabets/letters based on the Kannada script.
Kannada Language is written From Left to Write and alphabets are divided into Vowels and Consonants
Letters In Kannada
Kannada Letters with Words
Kannada Consonants with Words Examples
Next Category Kannada Letters are Numbers is given below
More Information Kannada Letters / Kannada Script :
- The Kannada script came from the Kadamba and Calukya scripts, which are descendents of Brahmi and these scripts are used between the fivth and seventh centuries AD. These scripts are originally developed into the Old script(Kannada Script), which by about 1500 had morphed into the Telugu and Kannada scripts. Under influence of Christian missionary organizations, Telugu and kannada scripts were standardized in the early 19th century.
- Kannada Script is aphonemic abugida of 49 letters and it is written from left to right. The characters are letters are almost equal to the Brahmic script.
- Kannada letters are divided into 3 categories. such as ಸ್ವರ, ವ್ಯಂಜನ, ಯೋಗವಾಹಕ
- The words(Kannada words) for a letter of the scripts are akshara(ಅಕ್ಷರ ), akkara(ಅಕ್ಕರ ), and varna(ವರ್ಣ ). Each letter has its own form ( aakaara ಆಕಾರ) and sound ( shabda ಶಬ್ದ), providing the visible & audible representations, respectively.
The Brahmi(Bhattiprolu Brahmi) script evolved (develop gradually)into the Kadamba script by the fivth century, which in turn developed as Kannada-Telugu script in the seventh century. The Kannada and Telugu scripts then separated by around (1300 C.E.)
Over & Over centuries some changes have been made on the Kannada script. These changes are
One of the change is modification of existing glyphs: In early Kannada script (Kannada Letters), there is no orthographic distinction was made between the short mid [ಎ, ಒ ] [e, o] and long mid [ಏ, ಓ.] [eː, oː] However, distinct signs have been employed to denote the special consonants viz. the trill [ಱ] [r] the retroflex lateral[ಳ] [ɭ] & retroflex rhotic [ೞ] [ɺ] found only in South Indian languages, by the fivth century.
and One more change is introduction of some new characters ( Letters in Kannada ) which are like ಶ [ç], ಷ [ʂ] , ೠ[rɨː], ఌ [lɨ], ౡ[lɨː], ಐ[eʲ], ಔ[oʷ] , ಅಂ[am], ಅಃ[ah] , and mahāprāṇa characters like ಖ [kʰ], ಘ [ɡʱ], ಛ [tʃʰ], ಝ[dʒʱ], ಥ[t̪ʰ], ಧ[d̪ʱ] , ಠ[ʈʰ], ಢ [ɖʱ], ಫ [pʰ] , ಭ [bʱ]. The introduction was done so that Sanskrit could be written using the script(Kannada Script). These changes have been facilitated the use of the Kannada scripts for writing many of literary Indic languages, including Sanskrit.
Kannada’s literary works used the letters ಱ which means/ transliterated’ṟh’ or ‘r’) and ೞ (transliterated ‘ḻ’, ‘zh’ or ‘lh’), the mode of articulation of which could most probably be compared to that of current and Tamil malayalam. Letters were abandoned in the 12th and 18th centuries, respectively. Later, Kannada’s works replaced “rh” and “lh” with ರ and ಳ respectively.
Another kannada letter (or unclassified vyanjana (consonant)) that has gone out is “inn” or “nh”. ನ್ Likewise, this has it`s equivalent in Telugu, where it is known as(called as) Nakaara pollu. The use of this consonant was observed until the 1980`s in Kannada’s works mainly from the coastal areas of Karnataka (in particular from the district of Dakshina Kannada). Now, almost no mainstream work uses this consonant. And also this letter has been replaced by ನ್ (consonant n). [Citation needed]
- This article covered all basic concepts in the Kannada Scripts/Language.
- We provided the Kannada Letters, Kannada Numbers from 0-10 and Kannada letters with words
Frequently asked questions
- Total Kannada Letters ?? – There are 52 letters in Kannada script including ಅಂ and ಅಃ
- Is Kannada language is similar to Telugu Language. Yes both Telugu and Kannada Language came from same Script
- How many Telugu Letters are at present ?? Telugu Letters are also 52